Monday, 19 August 2013

Revelry by Lucy Lord

This marks the first of my summer reads features:

It's summer and we are all starting to look at what reads are worthy of taking up room in our suitcases or being loaded on to our Kindle's.

Revelry was the first book I ever reviewed, it's also a great escapist read.



20130830-092722.jpg

One summer can change everything…

What happens when a friend breaks the one rule that should never be broken?

Best friends Bella and Poppy are living the dream – Notting Hill glamour, Shoreditch lofts, exclusive parties and drop-dead gorgeous men. But sometimes living life to the max catches up with you, and even the strongest friendships can be pushed to the limit.

Poppy, Bella and their friends spend the summer having as much fun as they possibly can – from the hedonistic escapades of Ibiza to doing Glastonbury in style. But amongst the laughter come tears, betrayal and backstabbing and one devastating decision threatens to bring it all crashing down. And, once the sunglasses have come off, Bella is forced to question if her lifelong friendship has been broken beyond repair.



With Revelry being Lucy Lord’s debut novel, I didn’t really know what to expect. From the synopsis it sounded like something I would enjoy. A book that promises ‘The perfect escapist read, Revelry will have you laughing, crying and gasping with shock’ is definitely worth a read, in my opinion. I found this book to be everything it promised and more. Once I had started it, it seemed to consume my days.

Bella is the main character of the book and it’s from her perspective that we follow the story. I found that Bella was the character I sympathised with most, not just because of the situation that unfolds within the story but also because she doesn’t realise the value of her own self worth.

With the exceptions of Ben and skinny Alison I would say that all the characters are likable if a little flawed. This book deals with a lot of issues and it’s through dealing with these that the characters’ weaknesses appear. Over one summer they are faced with problems from illness to adultery and I enjoyed going on the adventure with them as they discovered things about themselves and each other. The book follows them from Ibiza to Glastonbury ending in London with the ultimate betrayal.

One of my favourite parts is where Bella meets a dwarf in Ibiza, it really was a laugh out loud moment and definitely not the only one in the book. The scene at Glastonbury had me blushing and to this day I am still intrigued as to Bernie’s story, what is it that he does for a living?

I am very open minded about what I read and in most cases I live vicariously through the pages of what I am reading, but if you are against swearing, sex scenes and the mention of drugs in a book then please consider this your warning. I would like to say though that these things don’t define the book and they are there to add to the context of the story.

If you want a book that will help you escape from the troubles of your day I would recommend this one. The sequel to Revelry will be released in January of next year and is called Vanity. I for one cannot wait to read it!

5/5

1 comment: