Thursday, 5 September 2013

Howling at the moon with Amy Good

Amy Good is a writer from the U.S. currently living in Dublin. She writes part-time, but only when her tyrannical toddler allows it!. When she is not writing, she tweets about the joys and troubles of being a writer, a geek, a toddler mom and a non-native Dubliner.

Her first book, Rooted, is available (at no charge) for download at www.amicgood.com
Facebook
Tumblr
Twitter



20130826-195351.jpg

Your novel is called 'Rooted,' please could you tell me about it?
'Rooted' is the story of Chloe Chastain, a not-so-average teenage girl living in the Pacific Northwest. Chloe is also a tree spirit doing her best to avoid the local werewolf pack and not fail her sophomore year of high school. Or get stuck in detention. Again. So when her friend is turned into a werewolf and she attracts a dangerous stalker, Chloe realizes there is more at stake than her permanent record. ….Doesn’t that totally make you want to read it now? Because you can! For FREE!!

'Rooted' is about Chloe, please could you tell me about her?
I love Chloe! She’s loyal, hardworking, resourceful, selfless and an overall good person. She’s also a bit on the quiet and bookish side, which makes her very introspective. She constantly questions everything around her as she navigates her life and tries to understand the world. She’s the kind of girl that would make a great friend!!

They say the journey to being published is one of the hardest an author can take, please can you describe the journey that you went on?
I’m still on it, actually! 'Rooted' is my first book, and I’m giving it away for free because the Irish government will not let me sell it. (I made the mistake of not being an international success before I moved to Europe!) So right now, I’m just building up a platform from which I can eventually jump into publishing… One day… ;)

Are any of the characters in 'Rooted' anything like you?
I wish!! They’re way too interesting, though. I’m just a boring mom with an over-active imagination. My characters get to have all the fun!!



20130826-195430.jpg

Writers put so much time and energy into their characters and I have been told in the past that a writer carries their characters around with them. So my question is if you could go out for a day with any one of your characters: who would it be, what would you do and why did you pick this particular character?
I would go to Comicon with Rebecca! She’d be the girl dressed in the coolest cosplay and she would fangirl over probably everything; her enthusiasm would be infectious!! I really don’t think you could have a bad time – even if you tried – with Rebecca by your side.

If you could give one piece of advice to an aspiring author, what would it be?
Keep writing!! There really is no substitute for just putting in the work. Every day. Whether you want to or not. Even when you don’t want to finish writing that book you’re working on, keep going all the way to the last chapter! It’s worth it!!

What can we expect next, any future books in the pipeline?
Yes! Of course!! I’ve already had many requests for a sequel to 'Rooted' and I’m hard at work on that. I’m also working on a few short stories in Chloe’s world to throw to the hungry lions fans until I can finish the sequel. I’m always working on new stuff!!

Was there any books you read as a child that convinced you that you wanted to become a writer? If so, which one was it?
I’ve actually always wanted to write, from as early as I can remember. As a young kid, I read voraciously; I can’t even recall all the books I read before life and homework interfered! However, as an adult, when I read 'Kindred' by Octavia Butler, it convinced me that I could be a better writer!!

If there was one saying that could sum up your life, what would it be?
Live in the moment. Look forward to tomorrow.

If you were told that you could live any day without repercussions for your actions, what would you do and why?
My day wouldn’t really change! I’m one of those people with a strong sense of guilt and causing anyone pain or doing wrong actually causes me a lot of anguish as well. So even if I could rob a bank without repercussions, I’d still have to live with myself!

If you could choose one book that you think everyone should read, what would it be and why?
Years ago, I read 'Dark Matter: A Century of Speculative Fiction from the African Diaspora' and I wish I hadn’t given away my copy! It sparked my love of writers like Octavia Butler and Samuel R. Delany, and gave me a perspective on genre fiction that I didn’t have before. It is really marvelous!

What or who in life inspires you?
My Hubs inspires me to keep going because he believes in my dream just as strongly as I do. And my Kiddo inspires me to be a better person, a better mother, a better woman and a better role model because I couldn’t live with myself if she were ever disappointed in me. Each day, they propel me toward the person and writer I know I can be!

If 'Rooted' was to be made into a film, who would you like to star in it?
I only wish Hollywood were more diverse! My characters aren’t your stereotypical blue-eyed, straight-haired girls and boys; I think I’ll just have to wait for Hollywood to catch up to the rest of the world!!

What is your all-time favourite book?
Oh gosh, how can anyone choose just one favorite book?? I am a big fan of books in a series, so it’s impossible for me to pick just one! I mean, I love the Harry Potter books, the Jack Reacher books, the Felix Castor books, the Stephanie Plum books, the Dresden Files books, the Cirque du Freak and Demonata books, the Sandman Slim books, the Kitty Norville books and so many more!! Seriously, I can’t understand how you can choose just ONE book!



20130826-195753.jpg

I would like thank Amy for talking to 'The Love Of A Good Book'

No comments:

Post a Comment