Friday, 4 October 2013

Perfect Ruin by Lauren DeStefano

From the New York Times bestselling author of The Chemical Garden trilogy: On the floating city of Internment, you can be anything you dream. Unless you approach the edge.

Morgan Stockhour knows getting too close to the edge of Internment, the floating city in the clouds where she lives, can lead to madness. Even though her older brother, Lex, was a Jumper, Morgan vows never to end up like him. If she ever wonders about the ground, and why it is forbidden, she takes solace in her best friend, Pen, and in Basil, the boy she’s engaged to marry.

Then a murder, the first in a generation, rocks the city. With whispers swirling and fear on the wind, Morgan can no longer stop herself from investigating, especially once she meets Judas. Betrothed to the victim, he is the boy being blamed for the murder, but Morgan is convinced of his innocence. Secrets lay at the heart of Internment, but nothing can prepare Morgan for what she will find – or whom she will lose.



20131003-163901.jpg

Having never read a title published by Harper Voyager before or not being overly familiar with a genre that's referred to as dystopian (or fantasy fiction as I've been known to call it) I wasn't sure what to expect when I opened the cover of 'Perfect Ruin'.

Within the pages was a whole other world waiting to be discovered, a world that's fascinated by ours!
Soon I was submerged in a thought provoking read that was full of mystery, intrigue and violence.
I found myself in the sky, surrounded by clouds and being governed by a King.

My only qualm at first was that the pace of the story felt a bit slow, but the more I considered it the more I understood.
This isn't a stand alone book so ground work or sky work in this case needs to be put in and believe me when I say, once the story got going it was hard to put down.

I love Morgan and her betrothed Basil, I found the whole idea of a betrothal fascinating and I loved reading about their relationship.
In fact so many things in this story set my brain in motion, what would it be like for another world to grasp the names and uses of the everyday things we see and use.
How would they feel about fashion, technology, weather etc. it swung our world on its axis and made me look at things differently.

Since I didn't know what to expect, I was surprised to discover that Perfect Ruin' had romance, friendship, violence and even a political feel to it and the ending, now that's a cliffhanger that left me googling the release date for the second in the series.

I'm glad I tried something new, this dystopian has certainly opened my eyes!

4/5

A big thank you to the Fiction a Publishing Team at Harper Collins for sending me a copy to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment