Monday, 4 November 2013

Fractured by Dani Atkins

What would you do if life gave you a second chance?

The night of the accident changed everything...
Now, five years on, Rachel's life is crumbling. She lives alone in a tiny flat, working in a dead-end job, desperate with guilt over her best friend's death. She would give anything to turn back the clock. But life doesn't work like that... Does it?

The night of the accident was a lucky escape...
Now, five years on, Rachel's life is perfect. She has a wonderful fiancé, loving family and friends around her, and the career she always wanted. But why can't Rachel shake the memory of a very different life?

Gripping, romantic and heartbreaking, Fractured is a magical love story that asks: can two different stories lead to the same happy ending?



20131103-192019.jpg

Fractured' starts with Rachel and her friends facing a devastating tragedy that sees their lives changed forever and leaves Rachel scarred in more ways than one,

5 years later something happens and suddenly Rachel finds herself in a life where everything's different, except her memories.
How is it that her dead friend stands before her and her life is free of scars?

It's hard to put into words the empathy I had for Rachel throughout this book!
She's faced with a tragedy that changes her life in so many ways and it's evident that even though she's breathing, she isn't living.
The strange thing was, that I found even when Rachel was pulled into the 'better' life, I still felt sad for her.
Although she found herself in a happier life, where goals were within reach and people she loved were all around, she was still mentally in the same place, living with the same nightmares.
I found a hidden strength in Rachel, faced with her new life and everyone telling her, her history, she still holds on to what's in her mind, she never loses herself and that for me delivered a message.

Jimmy was a great character, from the first page I just knew I was going to like this down to earth, lovely guy. He proves his love for Rachel countless times and my heart melted at the thought that they would get a second chance, a chance to see what could've happened past their teenage years.

I try so hard to not think about what if but it's inevitable that at some points in your life you will wonder how things could've been different and there's something inspirational about the magic behind this story that allows the reader to see two versions of the story through the eyes of one character.

As I turned the last page, I found myself broken, it was time to say goodbye to a book that warmed my heart and intrigued my mind.

5/5

Thank you to Becci at Head of Zeus for sending me a copy to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment