Wednesday, 20 November 2013

Full of inspiration with Kiri Mills

Today Kiri Mills is sharing what inspires her.

Hi I am Kiri, a wannabe full time author but currently a full time water filter customer service type person (oh yes, really)

I live in the Lincolnshire Wolds, which makes me sound like a borrower but I like it here! I am married with two children. They all drive me mad but I love them dearly.

I enjoy writing and have been told by at least 3 total strangers they like my writing (yay!) I managed to get a short story published in Sunlounger thanks to the Belinda Jones Travel Club my author page is here:
va-va-vacation.com/kiri-mills

I am trying to write my first novel but I enjoy criticising myself and eating crisps, so it might take a while. You can follow me on twitter but be warned that I swear too much and rant about random things @kirimills




20131106-185933.jpg

What inspires me? Lots of things, so this could be a long one….
I find inspiration in most things almost every day, sometimes without realising.
My parents are a big inspiration to me. They have always worked hard to provide for our family whether it be food on the table or material things like birthday presents. They both have a wicked sense of humour which has seen us through some tough situations. I cannot even start to explain everything my parents have done for me. Their love is inspiring to me.
My children inspire me. From the moment they were born. It’s something that can’t be put in to words, that first night when you watch your tiny baby sleeping. It is awe-inspiring to think this little person grew inside your body. You feel you could watch them sleep forever. But you can’t because you realise you are actually completely shattered and will be until the day they leave home. Everyday my children do something that makes me a little bit mushy inside. Currently it’s when they sing a nursery rhyme all the way through and ask me if they are clever. They are two and three years old by the way, in case you were wondering!


20131106-190320.jpg
Films can be inspiring and there is only one that has ever made me go teary-eyed. Erin Brockovitch. It is based on a true story and I wasn’t keen when I first started watching it but towards the end I wanted to be like Erin. She was passionate, quick-witted and kind-hearted. I won’t ruin it by telling the story but I think it’s an amazing film and story.
At this time of year I feel inspired by our Forces and their families. I think of friends who have lost their husbands at war and the way they carry on regardless. The Great British Stiff Upper Lip. Whether or not someone agrees with the reasons behind a war, it is hard not to admire and be inspired by the soldiers, sailors and airmen “just doing their job”. It’s amazing to think that these men and women are willing to risk their lives for their country and they think nothing of it. I have visited many war cemeteries in France, Holland and Germany. They are incredibly sad places to visit but when you look at the rows and rows of graves, you realise how many people were willing to fight for you before you were even born. The air is thick with bravery and pride, you can’t see it but you can feel it. It’s hard not to be moved by that.
There are also places that I find inspiring. I once visited Austria for a snowboarding holiday and the views are amazing. You feel so small on those mountains, to think that you are insignificant in size and yet you are still there. It can feel like you are a million miles away from civilisation and really you aren’t that far away! I get the same feeling when I look up at the stars at night.
I have visited the Caribbean a couple of times and the people there are so happy! They have such a positive outlook on life. They take the time to enjoy life; everything is slowed down and laid back. I remember arriving in Jamaica and being annoyed that our room wasn’t on the beach front, I felt like the holiday had been ruined before it had begun. As it turned out, it was one of the best holidays I have ever had!


20131106-190418.jpg
The Olympics and Paralympics inspired me! The slogan was ‘Inspire a Generation’ I really believe that the athletes and Great Britain accomplished that. I found myself glued to the television for nearly every event. Who can forget Super Saturday?! It seemed like the first time in a long time, Britain was proud to be British. Although I haven’t taken up a sport because of the Olympics, I can see that anything is possible when you are willing to put in the work.
Now as this is a bookish blog, I had better tell you about authors that have inspired me! I can’t write this without mentioning Belinda Jones. I have adored Belinda’s work since I first read Diva Las Vegas; this was the story that inspired my trip to Vegas! Every book has had me hooked at the first page and I am so honoured to have been chosen to be included in the Belinda Jones Travel Club anthology, Sunlounger. I was positive that my story wouldn’t be included, so I sent it off without too much hope. I was ecstatic to find I had been shortlisted and knowing that my favourite author had read my work and thought it was worthy enough to be included was a MASSIVE inspiration to write more!

20131106-190600.jpg
Without this inspiration, I doubt I would have written anything longer than a shopping list for the rest of my life. I don’t know if I will ever have anything published again however, it’s brill to know that it is possible.
I have to say I have learnt more about some of the other writers who wrote for the competition and they too, continue to inspire me every day. Holly Martin (Sunlounger winner) has just had her first book published and Lisa Dickenson (Shortlisted for Sunlounger) is also about to have her stories published. If that doesn’t inspire me to write then I don’t know what will! I am now over 15,000 words in and every time I read that Holly’s paperback has sold out or Lisa’s book is number one, it spurs me on to write more and find out if I can achieve my dreams.
Who knows you may read a book by me one day, you may not. One thing is for; I am never short of inspiration.



20131106-190639.jpg

A really big thank you to Kiri, for sharing who and what inspires her

1 comment:

  1. I bought the Sunlounger book purely because of Kiri's story! When I first read it, it moved me to tears. I am keeping my fingers crossed Kiri does write her book, I know it will be fabulous. Just as this post is such an interesting read. Kiri has dimensions to her that wll make for the best stories, ever!

    ReplyDelete