Monday, 20 January 2014

Telling lies with Emily Harper

Emily Harper, author of White Lies and Checking Inn, has a passion for writing humorous romance stories where the heroine is not your typical damsel in distress. Throughout her novels you will find love, laughter, and the unexpected!

Originally from England, she currently lives in Canada with her wonderful husband, beautiful daughter, mischievous son, and a very naughty dog.



20140119-180025.jpg

Your novel is called 'White Lies' please could you tell me about it?
White Lies is a novel about a woman who wants to change her life, but isn’t really willing to compromise on anything. Natalie Flemming hasn’t had a lot of luck in love so she places a want ad in a magazine in the hopes she will find the man of her dreams. But as people are responding to her ads, and she is going on dates, she realises that what she thought she wanted, and what she actually wants in a man might be very different.

'White Lies' is about Natalie Flemming, please can you tell me about her?
Natalie Flemming is the girl that we all say that we are not, but at the same time I think there is a little bit of Natalie in everyone. She has a lot of those “Oh my god, did I just say that out loud?” moments. She knows what she wants in life, but is unsure of herself and how to get it.

Are any of the characters in 'White Lies' anything like you?
How Natalie reacts to certain situations is definitely like me. I don’t stay down for long, and when something has my back to the corner I am constantly thinking of ways to change my situation or get myself out of the sticky mess. I would like to say that I am a little less flaky then her, but who knows!



20140119-180550.jpg

They say the journey to being published is one of the hardest an author can take, please can you describe the journey that you went on?
I wrote White Lies years ago. I submitted it to agents and to a publishing house, and the only one who said yes was the publishing house. I worked with a great editor there for about a year, but in the end I felt the novel wasn’t going in the right direction anymore- for this particular novel. I still think the publishing house does great work, but I would have had to make White Lies into something I wasn’t comfortable making it.
So, I took a bit of a break. Had two kids. Moved. You know, life.
Then about a year ago I picked up White Lies and decided that this time I was going to do it myself. The publishing industry has evolved so much over the last few years that being an Indie author isn’t as plagued with scorn as it once was.
And I have loved it. It’s a lot of work, a lot of social networking, but I actually enjoy interacting with people on line so for me it has been pretty smooth sailing.
My next book, Checking Inn, is due out in December. My third book will follow next summer. I feel like now that I have done everything once it has been a lot easier the second and even third time around.

What piece of advice would you give to a single girl in Natalie's position?
When people say you need to compromise in relationships that doesn’t always mean, you get your way one time and he gets his way the next time. Sometimes you both need to get your way and sometimes you both don’t get your way. You shouldn’t do things that don’t make you happy, but at the same time in certain situations, when you really love someone them being happy is enough for you.

Writers put so much time and energy into their characters and I have been told in the past that a writer carries their characters around with them.
So my question is if you could go out for a day with any one of your characters: who would it be, what would you do and why did you pick this particular character?

I would probably go out for the day with Hank. He’s just fabulous. I am sure we would go for pedicures, have a great lunch and just gossip all day long. Of course, he would know all the latest and best gossip.

If you were told that you could live any day without repercussions for your actions, what would you do and why?
I think I would do all the things I am afraid of doing. Anything to do with heights.

If there was one saying that could sum up your life to date, what would it be?
“Never, ever, ever give up.”- Winston Churchill

What can we expect next, any future books in the pipeline?
Checking Inn is due out December 20th, which I am so excited about! It is a chicklit novel that takes place around a murder mystery. I am excited to see if people get it.


20140119-181217.jpg

What or who in life inspires you?
My family inspires me. They have been known to be a little loud, a little crazy so they keep my motivated. My kids, they are my number one fans, and the feeling is definitely mutual.

What is your all time favourite book?
To Kill A Mockingbird. If you can’t find inspiration on every page of that book, you aren’t reading it right.

Please would you share who your 5 dream dinner party guests would be?
Meryl Streep- I just LOVE her. Can she ever do anything wrong?!?
Gordon Ramsay- only so he would cook the meal J
Snow White- my daughter would be devastated if she found out I could pick anyone and didn’t invite Snow.
Jeremy Clarkson- love Top Gear. Also, he would keep my husband entertained while I swoon over Meryl.
Johnny Depp- Just for Natalie

A big thank you to Emily for talking to The Love of a Good Book

No comments:

Post a Comment