Sunday, 23 March 2014

BLOG TOUR: Keep Your Friends Close by Paula Daly



20140316-113529.jpg

Blurb:
Natty and Sean Wainwright are happily married. Rock solid in fact. So when Natty's oldest friend, Eve Dalladay, appears - just as their daughter collapses on a school trip in France - Natty has no qualms about leaving Eve with Sean to help out at home.

Two weeks later and Natty finds Eve has slotted into family life too well. Natty's husband has fallen in love with Eve. He's sorry, he tells her, but their marriage is over.

With no option but to put a brave face on things for the sake of the children, Natty embarks on building a new life for herself.

And then she receives the note.

Eve has done this before, more than once, and with fatal consequences...



20140315-171440.jpg

My thoughts:
This is first time I've encountered the writings of Paula Daly and whilst the blurb intrigued me, I really didn't know what to expect.

What I found within the pages was a gripping thriller that wouldn't allow me to leave it, a book that had pulled me so far in, I had to finish it that same day!

The book starts off setting the scene with Natty and. Sean, a happily married couple with two children and a successful business.
But when their youngest daughter Felicity gets sick on a school trip to France, Natty goes to be with her.
Leaving Sean and eldest daughter Alice, in the capable hands of friend Eve.
This is when the story starts to turn......

The characters are flawed and in some cases manipulative, which makes for a compelling read.
But for me the best thing about the characters was their realness. The emotions that they caused me to go through, the way at times I found characteristics in them easy to relate to.
Mad Jackie was a wonderfully down to earth person, she for me was my favourite character.
Eve, was the character I felt the most strongly about, the anger I felt towards her for was at times my driving force to read faster, to find out what was going on in her head.

You see the story unravel not just through the main characters but also through characters watching from the outside, characters who help you to form your views and follow every twist and turn in a story that will have you questioning, how well do you really know the person next to you......

5/5

A big thank you to Alison Barrow for sending me a copy to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment