Thursday, 6 March 2014

The Lemon Grove by Helen Walsh

One hot summer. One week in a villa on the outskirts of Deia, a village nestling in the rugged, mountainous west coast of the island of Mallorca. One family for whom the carefully laid jigsaw of life is about to be broken.

Jenn and her husband Greg holiday each year in Deia, enjoying languorous afternoons by the pool. But this year the equilibrium is upset by the arrival of Emma, Jenn's stepdaughter, and her boyfriend Nathan. Beautiful and reckless, Nathan stirs something unexpected in Jenn. As she is increasingly seduced by the notion of Nathan's youth and the promise of passion, the line between desire and obsession begins to blur. What follows is a highly-charged liaison that put lives and relationships in jeopardy, and a taut narrative which percolates with enough sexual tension to make it impossible to put down.

Sultry, spare and brilliantly paced, THE LEMON GROVE is a meditation on female desire, the variations of marriage, and the politics of raising other people's children. It is the work of a writer acutely alive to the complex workings of the human heart.



20140119-183503.jpg

Jenn and Greg are holidaying in Deia, their normal picturesque holiday spot.
Only this year, along with Greg's daughter Emma, is her boyfriend Nathan.

Soon a family holiday takes a dangerous twist as Jenn finds herself lusting after Nathan and she has an inkling the feeling is mutual...,

It's taken me ages to write this review, I was captivated by the setting of the story and loved the descriptiveness in which it was described.

But unfortunately that's where my love for the story ends.
I couldn't cope with the characters, there wasn't a likeable trait in any of them.

They felt self centred and in terms of the teenagers, very spoilt.

I wanted so much to love this book, but sadly it didn't happen and I'm extremely disappointed.
I don't want to give a lengthy review of why I didn't like this book, for me something just didn't fit.
I will say though, that there was something which kept me reading, I didn't give up on this book and found myself confronted with an ending I wasn't expecting.


3/5

Thank you to Georgina at Headline Publishing for sending me a copy to review.

3 comments:

  1. I love how you've worded this, what a wonderful review.
    I'm intrigued to read this, I love great descriptions and like you said 'something kept you reading'

    Keep up the beautiful reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt disappointed by this book too, though like you felt compelled to keep reading somehow & did like the setting. Her other books are so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not read any of her previous books, I might order one x

    ReplyDelete