Saturday, 26 April 2014

Carry You by Beth Thomas

Today I am the 4th stop on the 'Carry You' tour, not only an I sharing with you my review but I am also sharing an excerpt of the book!



20140424-084628.jpg

Excerpt

I dunk my Jaffa cake into my hot chocolate as I work hard on suspending my disbelief for a bit longer. It’s an effort but so worthwhile. The disbelief thing, I mean. Not the dunking; that’s no effort at all. Dunking these delightful spongey confections in hot chocolate is one of God’s best and yet simplest ideas. If you get it right, the cakey bit soaks up hot chocolate without falling apart, and the chocolate and orange bit on the top go all warm and soft, so they just melt in your mouth. Too long in the heat, though, and it’s gooey mush at the bottom of the mug. Timing is everything; it’s a lot like life. Ooh, that sounds good.

Daisy Mack
is dunking Jaffa cakes in hot chocolate. The timing is everything: it’s a lot like life.


My laptop makes an electronic popping sound, and I glance down. It’s an instant message from my best friend Abby.

Abby Marcus Hey, what you doing?

Oh God. Quickly I grab my mobile phone on the sofa next to me and switch it off, dropping it back on the cushion. But I’m still not safe. I reach up to the landline on the wall next to me and break through the dust and cobwebs on the handset. Abby is the only actual human being dogged enough to ring it, and she will when she finds my mobile switched off. I press the ‘Call’ button so the dialling tone is audible. Colin lays Hugh out on the road with one good punch. Colin and Hugh really aren’t very good names for two drop dead gorgeous, Hollywood A-list actors are they? They sound more like a pair of nerdy IT geeks in specs. It’s not exactly Brad and Matt

Blurb:

“For you mum. This is all for you”

For anyone who has loved, lost or found it hard to let go, CARRY YOU will make you laugh, cry and celebrate your best friends. Perfect for fans of Marian Keyes and Jo Jo Moyes.

Daisy has lost her mum to breast cancer. She’s at rock bottom and doesn’t think she’ll ever get back up again. Her best friend Abi has other ideas – she tells it like it is and she’s determined to make Daisy remember the person she used to be.

What Daisy doesn’t know is that, thanks to Abi, her life is about to take an unexpected turn, when she signs them up to do a charity walk. Added to which, someone is about to burst into Daisy’s world in a riot of colour reminding her that life can be full of surprises.



20140403-183737.jpg

My Thoughts:

6 months after her mums death Daisy finds herself caught in a downward spiral, having lost all hope, she is existing on Hugh Grant movies and Jaffa Cakes.
That's is until best friend Abby decides enough is enough.
So armed with a To Do list and a training plan, Abby sets Daisy on a walk to discovery....

There's something amazing about a story that can pull your emotions in and fuel them with every word. To make you feel every tear, smile and burst of anger that the characters feel.
I found myself feeling so many emotions as I read this but the one that had me turning the pages in rapid succession at times, was anger.
Never before have I felt so much anger towards a group of people, the need to jump in, shake them and slap them, was at times my driving force.
I wanted them to stop the hurt, the reasoning behind their actions and see the truth.
This is a credit to Beth Thomas' writing, to bring out such passion in a reader.

Daisy and Abby are wonderful characters and reading about their friendship was at times touching. They are so lucky to have each other and there are definitely times in the story where Daisy needs an Abby intervention.
It was great being taken back to how the two met, to discover the moment that their friendship started.
The time where without realising it their lives changed for the better because they both in that moment discovered someone they could share everything with.

What I loved most about 'Carry You' is that it starts as a story of loss but takes us on a road of discovery.
A road where we discover a strong friendship, a moonwalk of a different variety, a romance and a story to inspire us all.

'Carry You' will make you laugh, cry and look at life differently, a definite must read!

5/5

Thank you to Olivia at LightBrigade PR for sending me a copy to review

No comments:

Post a Comment