Monday, 7 April 2014

Liverpool Angels by Lyn Andrews

Blurb:

Born at the turn of the twentieth century, Mae Strickland is only a few days old when her mother suddenly dies. Her aunt Maggie brings Mae up together with her own children, Eddie and Alice, and the girls become like sisters. In spite of Mae's unhappy start, life feels full of promise.

Then, as the First World War looms, everything changes. While the local men - including young Eddie - leave to fight, Mae and Alice train as field nurses. As they travel to the front line in the wake of family tragedy, nothing can prepare them for the hardship that lies ahead.

Yet there is solace to be found amid the wreckage of the war, and for both, romance is on the horizon. But it will take great courage for Mae and Alice to follow their hearts. Can love win out in the end?


20140403-183146.jpg

My Thoughts:

Liverpool Angels transports us back to the Cold War as we follow Mae and Alice, two selfless women who volunteer to aid the victims on the frontline.
We start the story in 1898 at the birth of Mae and follow her story as she ages into a woman and ultimately travels to France.

Although the story follows a harrowing time, there is hope within the words as the tale takes on an element of romance.

As with all stories you find yourself having characters that you favour over others and for me these were the Strickland family they are always supportive of each other and can often be found helping others, even when times are especially hard for them.

A wonderful read full of happiness, family, love and poignancy that will transport your imagination from the very first page.
Filling your heart with warmth and compassion.

*My mum has been a reader of Lyn Andrews for years and it was mainly because of her that I read this book.
Within minutes of me finishing Liverpool Angels my mum started reading it.
When she finished I asked her as a previous reader, what did she think of the story?
She said, "Lyn Andrews has always been able to captivate my imagination, her style of writing is timeless. This story was no exception and from the first page I knew we were in for another remarkable read.
The era of the story interested me immensely and it was a shame to close the book and say goodbye to some incredible characters"

4/5 from me
5/5 from my mum

Thank you to Bookbridgr/Caitlin for sending me a copy to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment