Tuesday, 29 April 2014

Tease by Amanda Maciel

Blurb:

Emma Putnam is dead, and it's all Sara Wharton's fault.

At least, that's what everyone seems to think when Sara, along with her best friend and three other classmates, has been criminally charged for the bullying and harassment that led to Emma's shocking suicide.

Now Sara is the one who's ostracized, already guilty according to her peers, the community and the media.

But Sara is sure she hasn't done anything wrong. Emma brought it on herself. Emma stole Sara's boyfriend. Emma stole everyone's boyfriends. Surely Sara was the victim, not Emma.

During the summer before her senior year Sara is forced to reflect on the events that brought her to this moment - and ultimately consider her role in an undeniable tragedy. And she'll have to find a way to move forward, even when it feels like her own life is over.

A story of everyday jealousies and resentments, misunderstandings and desires, Tease is a thought-provoking must-read that will haunt readers long after the last page.




20140413-200138.jpg

I would like to thank Books with Bite for allowing me the chance to review.

My Thoughts:

When I first read the blurb for 'Tease' I was intrigued to read the story from the narrative of the 'bully'.
Being bullied myself I expected to start reading and instantly hate Sara. I thought I would be angry throughout.
What I never expected was to be pulled into a world where suddenly I was learning the reasoning behind their actions.

There are times where I really felt for Sara and this surprised me, I found myself hoping she wouldn't get sentenced but also wanting her to realise that she still did wrong.
Although I felt for Sara I couldn't bring myself to like Brielle, there was only one time that I felt myself waver towards her.

The truth is, you aren't going to close this book and condone the behaviour of the bullies but you will understand how throw away comments to some really don't seem life threatening.

'Tease' explores bullying from all angles, the mental torture, the physical pain and even the new tool for bullies; social network.
With technology freely available now, bullying isn't just within the confines of schools anymore, it's through emails, fake profiles. It's something that can't be dealt with in just a classroom and this is highly emphasised throughout.

Yes this book was close to home for me. Not just because I was bullied but because I know how it feels to be in a family where someone you love feels they have no way out.
I know how it feels to live with the questions.
What if I had known? what if I had been there? The truth is after they are gone, these questions will never get answered!

It's with my personal experience that I say I want this book to be in schools, to be read by every teenager and adult. To show people the affect one word, one action can have on someone.
This really is a story that allows you to see behind closed doors, to give you an insight into someone you want to believe is evil but is in fact human.

'Tease' is an immensely thought provoking read. It's a story that gives you perspective and allows you to see the bigger picture.

What have you said to people today?

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like one of those books that can help people to see the world from a different perspective. Great review!

    ReplyDelete