Sunday, 11 May 2014

Extract of Every Woman For Herself by Trisha Ashley

A special blog tour stop, as today I am one of three blogs hosting as Reading in the Sunshine.

Today I am thrilled to be part of the blog tour for Every Woman For Herself by Trisha Ashley. Please visit the other stops too for some fantastic posts and content! :) Today I am excited to share with you an extract for Every Woman For Herself :) Please see below for the extract and details on how to purchase this brilliant book! Enjoy!



20140511-090224.jpg

Chapter 2
Wrong in the Attic

Lay awake all night with my mind doing hamster-in-wheel impersonations, then came groggily down this morning to find a letter from Matt’s solicitor.

Isn’t this indecently fast? The letter said that since Matt and I were in agreement (are we?) and there were no children of the marriage, I did not need to have my own solicitor: just sign on the dotted line when asked to, and don’t make a fuss.

The only good thing Matt’s sudden bombshell did was make me look at him and realise that he had turned into this alien, and an elderly one at that. Otherwise, who knows how long it would have taken for me to realise that I was beginning the slow trek through that long, rocky hinterland before fifty, hand in hand with a grumpy old man? (And as Sherpas go, he’d have been no Tensing.)

A day or two later Matt phoned, his usual bossy self, and instructed me to just do as I was told, basically, and he would see me right financially.

That will be a novelty.

And there was definitely an underlying threat there . . .

I’ve finished the painting: miniatures of looming menace my speciality.

When I lived on the moors among all those vast spaces I painted long, narrow landscapes where tiny figures were set like random jewels. But once transposed to the claustrophobia of a city (even one as beautiful as York) I began painting ever-smaller canvases in which the minute figures cower under threatening jungle foliage.

They sell quite well through Waugh-Paint, a local gallery. Vaddie Waugh, the owner, says it’s because they are so small they are easily portable. Or maybe people just like having something small, dark and threatening hanging on their walls?

I haven’t told anyone about the divorce yet because it doesn’t seem real. And anyway, there’s only really the family to tell, and frankly I do not want to phone home and confess that not only have I failed in the motherhood stakes, I’ve also failed as a wife.

The solicitor has explained everything to me, but it all slid away from my grasp immediately. All I understood was that financially we are up Shit Creek without a paddle, so there is no point in my fighting for half the house or a huge chunk of maintenance. The maintenance Matt does propose giving me is a pittance, though combined with my painting earnings I expect I will survive: Remittance Woman.



20140511-090316.jpg

Purchase in Paperback or eBook
First comes marriage. Then comes divorce. Then it’s every woman for herself …


Every Woman for Herself is a hilarious account of divorce and dating from Sunday Times besteller Trisha Ashley. Perfect for fans of Katie Fforde and Carole Matthews,the country setting and rom-com storyline make this the perfect summer read.

When Charlie’s husband Matt tells her that he wants a divorce she has to start from scratch. Suddenly single, broke and approaching 40 she is forced to return to her childhood home in the Yorkshire moors.

Living with her father and eccentric siblings could be considered a challenge but soon Charlie finds her new life somewhat refreshing. Now that she’s single she’s got no need to dye her roots nor to be the perfect wife and she can return to her first love- painting.

But just as she begins to feel settled, handsome, bad-tempered actor Mace North moves in down the road and starts mixing things up for Charlie in more ways than one …

No comments:

Post a Comment