Thursday, 15 May 2014

Throwback Thursday: Jennifer Joyce & The Face On The Milk Carton

20140504-183529.jpg

Today's Throwback Thursday guest is Jennifer Joyce.
Jennifer Joyce is a writer and a book blogger from Manchester. You can find her on
Twitter: www.twitter.com/writer_jenn
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jenniferjoycewrites
or her blog www.jenniferjoycewrites.co.uk

When Kirsty from Love Of A Good Book set the challenge to write about a favourite book from our school days, a book that made us love to read, my mind went instantly to The Face On The Milk Carton by Caroline B Cooney. The Face On The Milk Carton tells the story of Janie, a teenager who recognises the image of a missing child on a milk carton, a little girl who was kidnapped twelve years ago. Janie is shocked when she realises the child is her and she sets out to discover the truth.
I’ve always loved reading, but The Face On The Milk Carton was the first to really grip me. It was the first book that I couldn’t put down, the first I attempted to read while eating (I failed because my mum wouldn’t let me) and it sparked many years of one-more-chaptering. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I like my sleep. Seriously, disturb my slumber at your peril. But The Face On The Milk Carton actually broke through my laziness and I took to setting my alarm clock early so I could read a chapter or two before I had to get up for school. This was the first time this had happened – and it hasn’t since. I’ve stayed up until stupid o clock many times to devour a book, but waking up early is unthinkable!
I wonder what it would be like to read the book again, years later as an adult. Would it grip me the same? Or would it disappoint and the magic of those few days of passionate reading would be lost? I’ve just ordered a copy of the book, but I’m not sure I can bring myself to read it in case it diminishes those memories. I think I will pass it onto my daughter and hope that she falls in love with it as much as I did.



20140504-183539.jpg

A big thank you to Jennifer, next week on Throwback Thursday, I am revisiting Room 13

If you would like to take part in Throwback Thursday please drop me an email on loveofagoodbook@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment