Friday, 13 June 2014

Blog Tour Interview: Evie Gaughan

Today I would like to welcome Evie Gaughan to The Love of a Good Book.

Author Information:

Hi, my name is Evie Gaughan.

At school, I often fancied myself as a bit of an Emily Brontë , as Wuthering Heights is one of my all-time favourite novels. However, I decided to take the long way round, which involved getting my diploma in Marketing and Social Studies, travelling abroad to France and Canada as well as the UK, working in some cool places and some not-so-cool places, meeting new people and leaving others behind, until ultimately I found my writing voice and the life experience to tell a story well.

I’m currently living in my home-town of Galway, Ireland and unlike Emily Brontë, I’m currently working on my second novel which I hope to release early next year.
Purchase: The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris


20140603-165316-60796557.jpg

They say the journey to being published is one of the hardest an author can take, please can you describe the journey that you went on?
It’s true. You would imagine that the hardest part is writing the book, (and it is challenging) but it’s what comes after you’ve typed ‘The End’ that can be the most frustrating part. The main reason for this is that everything is out of your control. Once you have submitted your cover letter and your synopsis to various agents, traditional publishers and digital publishers, all you can do is wait. Sometimes it can take up to six months to get a response and when that response is a generic rejection letter, it can be pretty hard to take. While most agents/publishers won’t give feedback, some do, and this can be really constructive and helpful. In my own case, I was told that they liked my writing style, but the story was too ‘niche’ for their lists. That was my first novel, The Cross Of Santiago, which was a time-slip novel. I knew that other authors such as Kate Mosse and Kate Morton were finding an audience with their time-slip novels, so that was when I decided to take control of my own destiny and publish myself. And I’ve never looked back!

Writers put so much time and energy into their characters and I have been told in the past that a writer carries their characters around with them.
So my question is if you could go out for a day with any one of your characters: who would it be, what would you do and why did you pick this particular character?

That’s a great question! I think I would choose Nicole Dubois, my protagonist Edith’s best friend in France. She works in her mother’s hairdressing salon and is married to a jazz musician. In actual fact, I based her look and vivaciousness on the Irish songstress Imelda May. Her style is 50’s chic and she’s a no-nonsense kind of lady. She speaks her mind and is, as the French say, bien dans sa peau (comfortable in her own skin). She loves giving makeovers, so I think we would definitely have to start the day off with some shopping for some vintage clobber, maybe even go to an old vinyl shop for some retro music finds. Then I could just imagine going to a very cliché American-style diner (think Uma Thurman and John Travolta eating burgers and shakes in a car-shaped booth in Pulp Fiction!) Finally, we would probably dance the night away to a live swing band :)

If you were told that you could live any day without repercussions for your actions, what would you do and why?
Honestly? This may not be the most exciting thing in the world, but I’d get a dog! I absolutely adore dogs, but I always hesitate when it comes to the crunch because they are such a huge responsibility. Actually, if there are no repercussions, I’d get 10!

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
There are so many places I’d like to see, but I would particularly like to go to Florence. I’m a self-taught artist and Florence is simply bursting with museums full of beautiful artworks, so I’d like to go there one day.


If you could choose one book that you think everyone should read, what would it be and why?
Wuthering Heights, without a doubt. The complex characters, the way Bronte addresses the class system and the all-consuming power of love – it’s a classic for a reason.


20140603-165526-60926088.jpg
If there was one saying that could sum up your life to date, what would it be?
The only failure is the failure to try.

Please share with us, one random fact about yourself or your book?
I am a self-confessed crafter! One of my favourite past-times is crochet.

What can we expect next, any future books in the pipeline?
Definitely! Book number three is germinating away in my mind. There will definitelly be more historical elements in there and possibly different time lines. Watch this space.

What or who in life inspires you?
I’m very much inspired by nature and human relationships.

Please would you share who your 5 dream dinner party guests would be?
Joanne Harris – I attended a talk of hers in Galway recently and she’s just so charming, witty and intelligent, I could listen to her all day!
Maeve Binchy – Who wouldn’t want Maeve Binchy at their dinner party? She was the most entertaining and endearing woman. I’m so sorry I never got a chance to see her speak before she died.
Colin Farrell – I don’t think that requires any explanation!
Benedict Cumberbatch – Ditto :)
Nigella Lawson – Well it would be nice to have someone who can cook!


20140608-213023-77423331.jpg

Thank you Evie.

No comments:

Post a Comment