Tuesday, 24 June 2014

Crazy, Undercover, Love by Nikki Moore



20140619-222750-80870501.jpg
Nikki Moore lives in beautiful Dorset and writes short stories and sexy, pacy romances. A finalist in several writing competitions including Novelicious Undiscovered 2012, she graduated from the Romantic Novelists Association New Writers' Scheme after four years and and has contributed to their magazine Romance Matters. She has far too much fun attending the annual RNA conference and has previously chaired a panel and taken part in a workshop at the Festival of Romance.
She blogs about some of her favourite things – Writing, Work and Wine – at www.nikkimooreauthor.wordpress.com and believes in supporting other writers as part of a friendly, talented and diverse community.

You can find her on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/NikkiMooreAuthor or on Twitter @NikkiMoore_Auth and she invites you to pop in for chats about love, life, reading or writing!


20140619-222906-80946761.jpg
They say the journey to being published is one of the hardest an author can take, please can you describe the journey that you went on?

This is a tough one as it feels like my journey has been relatively quick compared to some authors I know, but on the other hand it feels like it's taken forever!

I started reading at a fairly young age and as soon as I was able to write, the stories started pouring out :) I had a fantastic English teacher in secondary school who really encouraged me with creative writing and I adored handing my short stories - usually pretty gory as I read a lot of teen horror - to him. He usually gave me A's :)

I took a creative writing class at the local college when I was nineteen and wrote my first book, which was a romance, when I was a single mum in my early twenties. That got as far as an acquisitions meeting with Mills and Boon and I was lucky to have a fair amount of constructive feedback from one of the senior editors, Tess Shapcott, which improved my writing and my confidence enormously. I tried with another book which was rejected, and then set writing aside for a few years while I pursued a career in Human Resources, had another child, got married etc.

However I was still reading lots and writing when I had time. I was also a reader for the Romantic Novelists Association awards for a couple of years. I came back to writing and trying to get published properly in 2010 when I joined the Romantic Novelists Association New Writers Scheme. Over the next three years I entered and was a finalist in several writing competitions, set up a blog and submitted a number of manuscripts to the NWS, and received lots of encouragement and advice. I had a ball attending workshops and conferences and worked hard and spent countless hours on my writing. In the summer of 2013 I was offered my first paid writing contract for my short story A Night to Remember to appear in the Mills & Boon/RNA anthology Truly, Madly, Deeply which was released in February 2014.

My lovely editor Charlotte at Harper Impulse, who I submitted my first chapter to at the RNA conference last July, called me in October '13 with the offer a four work contract and since then it's been a giant whirlwind - seeing my first book cover; the ebook release of Crazy, Undercover, Love which currently has a 4.4/5 star rating on Amazon; getting my first 5* review; watching my book shoot up and down the Amazon rankings; writing my next few stories for HarperImpulse… it's been an exciting and rewarding journey so far and I can't wait for the next part of it.


20140419-221303.jpg
Writers put so much time and energy into their characters and I have been told in the past that a writer carries their characters around with them. So my question is if you could go out for a day with any one of your characters: who would it be, what would you do and why did you pick this particular character?
Wow, fab question! And I completely agree about writers carrying their characters around; to me they're very real, and feel like old friends:)

Of course I would enjoy spending time with Alex or Charley, the main characters in Crazy, Undercover, Love, but actually I would love to go out with Jess, who is a secondary character. I'd like to do something daredevil with her as she is one of those girls who has no fear, so maybe snowboarding or sky diving followed by a huge vat of white wine in a trendy bar :) I'd pick her because I love how honest and direct she is, plus since finishing CUL I've been itching to write her story, so she is alive and kicking in my head right now, even though I'm working on a completely different book! I've been so delighted by some tweets I've received from readers asking for a sequel to CUL and in particular for Jess to get her guy.

If you were told that you could live any day without repercussions for your actions, what would you do and why?
This is an even better question from the last! There are so many things I would do; go shopping and blow a ton of money, be brutally honest with some people about what I thought of them; buy a mansion by the sea; grab the most gorgeous guy I coud find and kiss him senseless (I'm single so it's allowed lol) ... I may go away and give it some more thought...

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
Now I want to go on holiday! Thailand, definitely. Ever since I saw The Beach with Leonardo Dicaprio – a great film but an even better book – I've wanted to travel there. It looks beautiful but also both idyllic and exciting at the same time. My sister's been and she said it was like paradise.

If you could choose one book that you think everyone should read, what would it be and why?
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I read it in my early teens and it left an enormous impression on me. It's so beautifully written, and tells such a profound story about prejudice, empathy, childhood and growing up, that it's the one book I consistently recommend to others.

If there was one saying that could sum up your life to date, what would it be?
Live well, laugh much, love with all your heart.

Please share with us, one random fact about yourself or your book?
I have a tattoo! It's quite small, on my lower back and is the chinese symbol for courage (something I think everyone needs to get through the challenges in life; cheesy, I know, but I had it done at eighteen). I don't regret getting a tattoo for instant, it's part of who I am.


Thanks so much for the Q&A Kirsty – I love your blog, and the rest of The Gosling Girls :)

Thank you for stopping by today Nikki, it was lovely having you on The Love of a Good Book

No comments:

Post a Comment