Sunday, 22 June 2014

The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me by Lucy Robinson

Today I have the awesome pleasure of welcoming Lucy Robinson to The Love of a Good Book.
A huge thank you to Lucy for the fantastic guest post and to Katie at Penguin for inviting me to be part of the tour and sending me a copy to review.

Read on for exclusive content and my review
[embed]http://media1.giphy.com/media/CkkVulYzFjd72/giphy.gif[/embed]

Exclusive content:
I’m still enjoying my weekend in Bristol with lovely friends. The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me is, I hope, flying off the shelves and I am on my way to becoming a Times Top Ten Bestseller with several million copies sold. Er, fingers crossed and all that.

Today I’m very happy indeed to be blogging from the excellent Kirsty of The Love of a Good Book. Thank you, Kirsty, for having me, it’s very lovely indeed to be here.

So, to recap. During this tour I am talking about two things: MAD PEOPLE and FEAR.

The MAD PEOPLE are my cast of main characters from The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me. During this tour I’m revealing them to you, one by one.

And then I’ll talk briefly about FEAR. Facing your fears; seizing the day, just being brave is a major theme in this novel and at the end of this blog tour I’ll be facing a sizeable fear of my own and showing you a video of the results. ARGHHH. So, here we go. Feel free to butt in with any actor suggestions for the blockbusting film that will surely follow.

JULIAN BELL
Julian Bell – ah, swoon. Julian Bell. A complete mess of a man, who wears his clothes back to front and loses his phone every five seconds. He seldom remembers to get his hair cut, he forgets most things and he lives in a rented room in Brooklyn with a dog called Pam. He smells of nice laundry detergent and wears lovely soft old tshirts (they could do with an iron, mind . .)

Julian edits a slightly silly magazine called the Brooklyn Beaver and he has the most ridiculous accent you’ve ever heard. He was brought up both on a farm in Devon and New York and the resulting accent is insane. Julian isn’t too bothered about this. He’s been through some fairly big things himself and he tends not to sweat the small stuff anymore. When he and Sally first meet, she is busy stealing something, but it doesn’t phase him much.

Julian is almost impossibly kind, reasonable and gentlemanly. He’s the man you’d be dreaming of all day, if he didn’t have holes in his clothes and an obsession with importing English junk food to his home in Brooklyn. I won’t lie, I have a massive crush on him. I’d definitely go there. Watch out for the scene with the custard creams and the view.

My favourite Julian Line: ‘I’ve been getting fluffy hair since I was born,’ Julian yelled. He let out some sort of a war-cry, crashed into the dining table, fell sideways into a massive pouffe, pulled his head out of the T-shirt and sprinted through one of the doors.
Julian’s biggest fear: Julian’s biggest fear is rather hard for me to reveal, because if I do it’ll kind of ruin the story. However I can say that he is afraid (on a far lesser scale, mind) of spiders, because the farm he partly grew up on was crawling with them.



20140619-214621-78381527.jpg

Blurb:

The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me by Lucy Robinson, author of A Passionate Love Affair with a Total Stranger, is a wonderfully witty and gorgeously romantic story of facing your fears and falling in love.

Sally is an incredible singer but she sings only in her wardrobe where nobody can hear her. She'd rather join a nudist colony than sing in public.

That is until she ventures to New York where a wild and heady summer of love and loss changes her forever. No longer able to hide in the shadows, Sally must return home to London to fulfill a promise she cannot break - to share her voice.

But just as she's about to embark on her new life, a beautiful man turns up on Sally's doorstep bearing a sheepish smile and a mysterious hand-written message.

How did he find her? Why is he here? Does he hold the truth to what happened back in New York? And, with him back on the scene, will she still have the courage to step into the spotlight?

Laugh out loud and follow your heart with Lucy Robinson's The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me.



20140614-190612-68772170.jpg

My Thoughts:

Three words, Robinson is back!

The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me, reunites us with the wonderful wit and writing style of the one and only Lucy Robinson.

The story follows opera lover Sally as she embarks on a journey to sing outside of her wardrobe. Only Sally's journey is under duress and made even more complicated with the reappearance of her ex.

I wish I knew where to begin, this book is so freaking good.
Enveloped within the pages is a story that will have you laughing out loud and tearing up with emotion.

The characters are phenomenal;

Sally is full of self doubt and is so relatable and loveable. You want her to realise her true worth, to have the opera dream she longs for and deserves.

Barry, the wonderful Welshman that is always there to offer advice and a little honest criticism, I LOVE BARRY! He is such an incredible friend and I want to be one of his 'chickens'

Jan, the hilarious Eastern European
opera singer who loves himself some sexing. (I may have snorted on several occasions whilst reading about him)

Julian, jaw droppingly handsome, swoon worthy, slightly scruffy Julian. I loved this man and at certain times in the book I wanted to take him into the wardrobe and hug him (yes HUG him)

Then you have Helen who isn't opposed to straight talking and proves to be a wonderful friend to Sally.

There are characters in the book who instantly show the hand they are dealt and Sally's cousin and best friend Fiona is one of them.
Fiona was dealt a troubled past and this carries with her through adulthood, at times I found myself wanting to shake her but I empathised with her so much.

As you can see, Lucy Robinson has packed this book with so many wonderful characters, but I have to admit as much as I loved all those mentioned, Stevie was my favourite. Her personality, her vibrancy and the way she put things into perspective, always left me smiling!

From beginning to end I was on a rollercoaster of emotions, I've laughed, nearly cried and had my heart broken on several occasions because what is evident throughout is the empathy and emotion that was poured into this story. Whilst still ever present is Lucy's personality and humour.

I love everything about this book, the characters, the story and the message felt throughout.

In the words of Barry 'it's imperative chicken' BUY THIS BOOK!

[embed]http://www.animateit.net/data/media/thanksgiving2013/z0244765898.gif[/embed]



20140619-214127-78087214.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment