Friday, 22 August 2014

The List by Joanna Bolouri

Blurb:


Phoebe Henderson may be single but she sure doesn't feel fabulous. It's been a year since she found her boyfriend Alex in bed with another woman, and multiple cases of wine and extensive relationship analysis with best friend Lucy have done nothing to help. Faced with a new year but no new love, Phoebe concocts a different kind of resolution.

The List: ten things she's always wanted to do in bed but has never had the chance (or the courage!) to try. A bucket list for between the sheets. One year of pleasure, no strings attached.

Simple, right?

Factor in meddlesome colleagues, friends with benefits, getting frisky al fresco and maybe, possibly, true love and Phoebe's got her work cut out for her.


                                      

A big thank you to Joanna and Quercus for sending me a copy to review! 

My Thoughts:


Phoebe hasn't had sex for A YEAR, a fact that has dawned on her as she starts to focus on her New Years resolutions.
On advice from friends and her therapist, Phoebe decides not to use her usual resolutions but to focus on one thing only, SEX! 
Feeling empowered she concocts a list of ten things she has always wanted to do between the sheets (or outdoors) 
Let the sexual resolution commence...

Before I started writing this review I chastised myself for being so stupid and not having read this book sooner, for Joanna Bolouri has written a book that is pure brilliance. It is sexy, empowering and downright hilarious! 

This book not only brightened my Saturday up, it also had me laughing to the point where I was nearly crying, staring at my nail polished fingers and comparing my sex-life! 

The characters are phenomenal:

Phoebe our narrator for the story, is still hung up on her lying cheating bastard of an ex. Every time she starts to make some headway and get over her feelings for him, something happens to pull her back into the black hole.
Whilst focusing on her list you start to see a new Phoebe emerge, someone who realises sex should be fun and not just for one of the people involved.
I laughed so much when Phoebe first attempted talking dirty. 
I love how Phoebe turns to best friend Lucy for tips.

Lucy is a force to be reckoned with, once she sets her sights on a man she gets him. I need some of her power of persuasion.
She is such a wonderfully refreshing character and I loved and laughed at her openness.
She knows exactly how to talk to Phoebe and never sugarcoats the man situation.
Whether it's advice about Alex or Oliver, Lucy is always on hand.

I hate Alex, let's get that out there, he is selfish and manipulative and nothing like Oliver.

Oliver, Oliver, Oliver, how I dream of calling out your name! You hot HOT man. I imagine the gorgeous gentle Oliver speaking to me in his soft Irish lilt, whilst working through my list.
Phoebes list, of course that's what I meant! 
Oliver is incredible, I love him and I love how he is with Phoebe.

The truth is, I love everything about this book apart from Alex although admittedly I did love to hate him.

One of the best books I've read this year, a comedy genius! 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment