Tuesday, 16 September 2014

The Wedding Proposal journey with Sue Moorcroft

Today I am delighted to welcome Sue Moorcroft to The Love of a Good Book, a big thank you to Sue for stopping by today and talking about the incredible book The Wedding Proposal.


It’s a wonderful feeling when a new book’s published. It’s like having an extra birthday. In fact I tend to get a greater number of online ‘Happy Publication Day!’ messages than ‘Happy Birthday!’ wishes. In a way, that’s fitting. I get a birthday without any effort. (And, frankly, I wouldn’t mind stopping the clock and not having any more.) But a book takes an enormous amount of time and effort, not just from me but from the entire Choc Lit team. It’s an achievement. We ought to celebrate it.
To celebrate publication of The Wedding Proposal I’m going to give you ten fun facts about it and its writing.


The Wedding Proposal was originally called In the Same Boat. This is a title given to me by my horror-writing friend, Mark West, who says at regular intervals, ‘I still think it ought to have been called In the Same Boat.’ The reason it’s not is that my publisher thought it would turn off anyone who suffers with seasickness. As I suffer from seasickness, I agreed!
2 I utilise beta readers for all of my books. A couple read it analytically, to feedback on plot holes or character inconsistencies. They are Mark and Dominic. The others helped me with research. They are: Lynda for scuba, Julie for working with children and Rowena for IT. (Thanks guys.)
The Wedding Proposal is a reunion book – Elle and Lucas were together in the past but their relationship ended. I thought that sticking them in a small boat together for the summer would make life interesting for them.
4 Plotting a reunion book is hard! At least, it was for me. I had to know so much of the backstory that I nearly gave up and just turned the backstory into the book. I’m glad I worked it out in the end.
5 We had five covers to choose from. We met the fiction buyer from a major chain at a function when the publisher had the potential covers with her. The buyer was so enthusiastic about one particular design that we discarded the others.
6 As I’m slightly colour blind between blue and green, I’m not sure what colour the cover is. I just say ‘aqua’.
I wanted to return to Malta to write part of the book. I think it would have been awesome to be right there as the central plot took shape. I couldn’t quite justify it but one day I’m going to write another Malta book and go out there to write part of it.
8 I wrote two drafts of the book before sending it to beta readers, a third draft to incorporate their feedback, then it goes to the editor. The editor gives me editorial notes, so I revise to incorporate them. Then we get down to tiny details and after that comes the proofing. So writing a book is a solitary experience – except it isn’t.
When I plotted this novel I did it with sticky notes all over a wall. It worked really well until my son came home from university and wanted his wall back.
10 Then I got two big pieces of cardboard and reordered the stickies on them so that I could take the plot with me when I was working in Wales. It was a really useful exercise and made me think hard about where the plot was going. I may do this for every book!


Sue Moorcroft writes novels of dauntless heroines and irresistible heroes. Love & Freedom won the Best Romantic Read Award 2011, an award for which Is this Love? andDream a Little Dream were subsequently shortlisted in other years. Dream a Little Dreamwas also shortlisted for a Romantic Novel Award in 2013. Sue is a Katie Fforde Bursary Award winner, a past vice chair of the Romantic Novelists' Association and editor of its anthologies.

Sue also writes short stories, serials, articles, writing ‘how to’ and is a competition judge and creative writing tutor.

Sue’s latest book The Wedding Proposal is available as an ebook from 4 August 2014 and as a paperback from 8 September.

Twitter @suemoorcroft


The Wedding Proposal
Can a runaway bride stop running?
Elle Jamieson is an unusually private person, in relationships as well as at work – and for good reason. But when she’s made redundant, with no ties to hold her, Elle heads off to a new life in sunny Malta.
Lucas Rose hates secrets – he prides himself on his ability to lay his cards on the table and he expects nothing less from others. He’s furious when his summer working as a divemaster is interrupted by the arrival of Elle, his ex, all thanks to his Uncle Simon’s misguided attempts at matchmaking.
Forced to live in close proximity, it’s hard to ignore what they had shared before Lucas’s wedding proposal ended everything they had. But then an unexpected phone call from England allows Lucas a rare glimpse of the true Elle. Can he deal with Elle’s hidden past when it finally comes to light?

Available across all major eBook platforms, including:
Apple UK http://bit.ly/1tgU5ag

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for inviting me onto your lovely blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete